Choosing the right residential Real Estate Lawyer can be a challenging process, especially while being involved in other time consuming tasks when buying or selling a home. I’ve created a 5 step checklist to help any consumer on the market make an educated decision in hiring a lawyer for their residential legal needs.
1. Contact the Law Society of Upper Canada to determine if the lawyer is:
(a) licensed to practice law in Ontario,
(b) real estate insured,
(c) subject to any restrictions or trusteeships;
(d) or has been disciplined.
Jay Teichman is licensed to practice law in Ontario, real estate insured, has never been disciplined and is not subject to any restrictions or trusteeships.
2. Contact the lawyer to determine the scope and extent of his real estate law experience in Toronto/GTA.
Jay Teichman has been practicing law in Ontario since 1981 and has more than 30 years of real estate experience in Toronto/GTA/Ontario.
3. Ensure that the fees and disbursements quoted to you are all inclusive thereby avoiding unhappy monetary surprises on closing. Oftentimes quotes do not disclose the lawyer’s disbursements/expenses (for which the lawyer expects to be reimbursed) or the lawyer’s fees for mortgage work in the course of an ordinary house purchase or sale. If you are buying a property, ensure that the fees and disbursements quoted to you include all legal work for the purchase and your mortgage. If you are selling a property, ensure that the fees and disbursements quoted to you include all the legal work for the sale and the discharge of your mortgages.
Jay Teichman’s quotes include all fees and disbursements, including mortgage work. Events arising out of the ordinary course are not included in a lawyer’s quotation unless the lawyer specifically so provides.
4. Seek advice and referrals from your friends, real estate agent, mortgage broker, insurance agent and banker. Word of mouth is usually the best referral advice available.
5. Ensure that you and the lawyer’s office have the right personal chemistry and that you feel that you can work with his office.